Monday, September 10, 2018

Lightning Fast Learning

So, It's been a bit over a month since Tyrallon joined our little family.  Things are going smoothly, all except for the narrow window of time in which I actually need to get him out of his cage; that still leads to a merry chase every time.  So, I decided that this was a good time to begin target training.


Holy cow!


If you've seen the Flock Talk video on target training, she warns that it was essentially a "time lapse" video over several days, and to not expect your birds to actually pick it up that fast.


Tyr didn't pick it up that fast... he picked it up faster! In less than ten minutes I could get him to climb anywhere on his cage, go from the cage to the couch, from the couch to the cage! It took about three times 'bumping' his beak with the stick to show him that grabbing it got him a bite of millet, and he was off! Another three or four times where he just had to reach, not move, and it was solidly in his head... after that, I could move it anywhere and he'd go after it. I was just stunned!

I knew parrotlets are smart little birds, obviously.  But this was learning with a speed and agility I would expect of an African Grey or maybe an Amazon, not a bird I can completely cover up with one cupped hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment